Sunday, September 1, 2013

Game Day Goodies: Wings, Corndogs, Ham & Cheese Pinwheels, Cupcakes and More....Oh My!



College football season just started. Football season means weekends of my husband sitting on the couch yelling at the T.V. while I play in the kitchen. I can see the T.V. from the kitchen, so no worries, I’m not missing the game. 



We kicked off the start of football season with three footballfood recipes I pinned: baked ham and cheese pinwheels, hot crab dip and homemade mini corndogs, along with wings, white cheese dip and tortilla chips and yellow cupcakes with chocolate icing. Here’s my success (or not) of the recipes (along with my husband’s official ratings of them).



Hot Ham and Cheese Pinwheels: I used crescent rolls instead of making my own dough because I never have any luck with yeast. I also used sliced cheddar. My variations only made 16 pinwheels instead of the 24 in the original recipe. I rolled the crescents out flat like a sheet, spread out 12 pieces of ham and 6 slices of cheese. Rolled up and cut up as described in the original recipe, baked for 15 or so minutes at 325 degrees and they were good! The hubs gave them a 7.


Mini Corndog Muffins: I used one box of Jiffy mix and followed the directions on the box for cornbread muffins. I spooned the batter into 24 mini-muffins and put a half of a turkey cocktail weenie in the middle and baked for about 10 minutes at 350 degrees. The boys ate them with mustard and ketchup and liked them, but John thought that they were too much breading and not enough meat. Next time I will use cut up fatter hotdogs instead of cocktail weenies. Hubby’s score:  6


Hot Crab Dip: I forgot the Worcestershire and used canned crab meat (because a half-pound of fresh crab meat would be waaaaayyy too expensive). I also used lighter variations of the mayo and cream cheese, instead of the full fat versions. I really like crab and love a good crab dip, but this was sour and more seafoody than I expected   – a couple of bites was all I needed before diminishing marginal return set in big time. I would probably cut out some of the mayo, use a little less lemon juice and use Tony Cacheres instead of Old Bay.  My husband doesn't eat crab, so I'll rate this one: 3.5, maybe?



The wings were made with McCormick’s Hickory BBQ Buffalo Wings dry seasoning mix. They were incredibly easy. Rinse and cut up your wings and shake them in a Ziploc bag with the seasonings, bake for a half hour and you’ll have one very happy husband. Mine tore these up and gave them a score of: 8.5!

 
Store bought white cheese dip & tortilla chips never fail. The yellow box cake and store-bought icing cupcakes (I’m so gourmet) also yielded no complaints.  



I’m excited about next weekend! I’ve already started researching recipes to try. Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment